Saturday, August 1, 2015

Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton




Book: Little Black Lies: A Novel

Author: Sharon Bolton (formerly S.J. Bolton)

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: The children of the Falkland Islands are disappearing and the islanders know that there is a child killer among them.

Catrin Quinn, a mother damaged by the accidental death of her sons by her ex best friend Rachel and Catrin's lover Callum all have secrets that could rip apart not only them, but the small island they call home. 
  
My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: Ms. Bolton is on my list of top five favorite British mystery writers. I have read every one of her works, so I believe that I can state (with some authority) that this is her best work to date. 

Little Black Lies had a different feeling to it in its approach and style than any of her previous reads. Told through first person narrative that was so descriptive that I felt I was almost in the characters' heads. There was something poetic in the flow of the words of this book that isn't present in her other words that led to a tormented beauty to the book. To say I was amazed, doesn't quite cut it. 

Now, I am going to do something that I RARELY do. I am going to compare this book to a classic. When I read Little Black Lies, I felt the same intensiveness that I felt while reading both Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Does that mean that I feel this book will be a classic? No, but it had that same intense draw to me. 

Just a note. This book is told from first person narrative by three different people. One must keep that in mind. If not, it is very easy to get lost in the story. The fact that the author crammed three perspectives into only a couple of days makes it more difficult. 

Source: St. Martin's Press through Netgalley

Would I recommend? : From the mountaintops!


Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment