Monday, June 16, 2014

The Ghost in the Coal Cellar: True Stories from a Lone Investigator by Andrea Mesich





Book: The Ghost in the Coal Cellar: True Stories from a Lone Investigator
 
Author: Andrea Mesich
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): August 8, 2014 

Synopsis: Ms. Mesich chronicles her paranormal investigations to such places as Mission Point Resort and the First Ward School House. 

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I must admit that I appreciated the fact that she came in from a scientific perspective and studied optional causes for "haunted" occurrences. The research appeared thorough. I tend to roll my eyes frequently at the books that are more "psychic" based and do tend to make fun of them. That simply was not present in this book. It was clear that this was a well developed book.

This was probably one of the more intelligent reads that I have read on this subject. The stories are broken down into episodes: History, Investigation and Findings. Think of reading the television show Ghosthunters. Furthermore, I though it was well thought out and concise in presentation.  

One of the things that I enjoyed most was that the author gives follow-up readings for "further learning". I have done this frequently and really appreciate when authors take that extra step. In most non-fiction, I will take the next step in the learning process, I will often look to these. The author did an excellent job of complying her list. 

I enjoyed this book so much that I have recommended it to numerous people and libraries. Overall, this was just a fun, but informative read that in my opinion is appropriate for audiences middle school and above. 

I read on my Kindle touch. I would either recommend a Kindle Fire or print copy. I found the pictures difficult to interpret as they were in black/white and smaller than what would have been in a larger screen and/or print offering a clearer picture. 

Some of these books are really weak, but this is definitely one I could see becoming a series and doing well.

Source:  Llewellyn Worldwide for review
      
Would I recommend? : See above
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: From what I can tell, stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment