Monday, June 16, 2014

Lincoln's Boys: John Hay; John Nicolay and the War for Lincoln's Image







Book: Lincoln's Boys: John Hay; John Nicolay and the War for Lincoln's Image

Author: Joshua Zeitz
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Secretaries Hay and Nicolay were with Lincoln from his entrance to the White House to his assassination. It was their mission to present a picture of a man who rose from humble beginnings to one of our greatest leaders. 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Generally, this was an inviting read that kept me engaged. I could see how some could state that it was dry, but, I was given another POV/perspectives to incidents I have studied. To boot, the author clearly researched this book so it was loaded down with critical information to the study of Abraham Lincoln.

A chief complaint that I have to this book is that I that I thought the book would be more in a "letter" format. I would have loved to have seen letters that Nicolay and Hay sent rather than them being referred to by the author. I must admit that I did feel that there were moments of the writing that kind of dragged on, but this is common in every historical book I have read (and some fiction, as well). 

As someone who has read over 200 books on Lincoln and the Civil War, this was one of my favorites.

Source: Review for Penguin Group

Would I recommend? : Yes, to Lincoln enthusiasts, such as myself. I couldn't put it down.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone 


No comments:

Post a Comment