Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Vanishing: A Novel by Wendy Webb





Book: The Vanishing: A Novel
 
Author: Wendy Webb
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Julia Bishop is on the verge of a breakdown when her husband commits suicide after being convicted in a Ponzi scheme and her home is burned to the ground. She finds it a god send when a stranger appears on her door step with a plan to take her into a life of seclusion and anonymity of Havenwood, a mansion on the remote shores of Lake Superior. 

That is when strange things start to occur. Are things as they seem for Julia and her caretakers? Do they have her best interest at heart? Is Julia remembering everything that she needs to remember to keep her safe?
 
My rating: 4 Stars 
 
My opinion:  To date, Ms. Webb's best, yet strangest book. With how much I enjoy this author's works, believe me, that is sayin' a whole lot!
 

I loved the characters and the unusual mystery. I can always count on Ms. Webb's books to give me something "out of the box". I must be honest and say that I wasn't as thrilled with the ending. I had expected it to go in a different direction than what the author took it. While it did have a nice twist, I felt that it ended safe. There are a couple of traditionally published authors who I feel can go deep/dark  and carry it off. She happens to be one.
 

One other slight criticism I have is that I would have liked a deeper character development of Julia, pre-Havenwood. 
 
Source:  Hyperion/Hatchett for review
      
Would I recommend? : Always do
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone
 

No comments:

Post a Comment