Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Ghost of the Mary Celeste: A Novel by Valerie Martin





Book: The Ghost of the Mary Celeste: A Novel
 
Author: Valerie Martin
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1873, the American merchant ship, The Mary Celeste arrived in port, with its cargo intact, but every last member of the crew missing. What happened in one of the greatest maritime mysteries? This is a fictional narrative.
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: I loved the beginning of the story. It found it slowed down in the middle and I somewhat got lost due to my declining interest, particularly with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The in the last 1/3 it took off again. Had that not occurred, this would have been a 4 star read for me. I do agree with another Goodreads reviewer who felt that the book ended too abruptly. It had the feeling that the author decided that she was done writing.

It somewhat had the feeling in the beginning of being a non-fiction read which I loved when an author can pull that off. I double checked its listing to make sure that it was a fiction book.

The topic of this book was fantastic. I loved the unique topic of the book, particularly as we have the missing Malaysian flight at this point. It was such a mystery that it led me look deeper into the "true story" of this book. 

Source:   Publisher for review
     
Would I recommend? : Yes, although I wasn't enamored with it, I still found it to be enjoyable.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment