Monday, November 25, 2013

The Small Hand and The Dolly by Susan Hill



Book: The Small Hand and The Dolly
 
Author: Susan Hill
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Two novellas in one book. I found the stories in this book to be a bit cliched in what is expected of an English ghost story. Haunted manors, lost victims who stumble into them and little munchkins who have failed to move on.
 
My rating: 2.5 Stars
 
My opinion: Ms. Hill's books always start off stronger than they end for me. It was no different with these two novellas. I had higher hopes for this two books, but they fell short to me again as they stumbled into the same type of storyline as her other books. 

I was telling a Goodreads friend that Ms. Hill's writing always starts off as being similar to the creepy, atmospheric writing of Henry James in The Turn of the Screw, but then it slides and becomes very modern and "uncreepy".
 
Source: Vintage for review
         
Would I recommend? : Yes, for ghost story lovers. I chase after ghost stories because I love them so much, but these came off as just a dime a dozen for me. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment