Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter #1) by Megan Shepherd





Book: The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter #1)
 
Author: Megan Shepherd 
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Do the sins of the father follow? For Juliet Moreau they do. Juliet is trying to live a clean life even though her father is the deranged Dr. Moreau, whom Juliet thought died long ago, has forced her to live with his past. 

When Juliet learns that he isn't dead, but living in exile on an island, she insists that his assistant take her to see him. Was that the smartest thing she has done? Probably not when Juliet learns that what he did in London was child's play compared to what is occurring on the island.
  
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Incredibly intense and intelligently written for a YA book. Kept me on the edge of my seat even for being a YA book. Nice not to have vampires/werewolves and all that jazz . I thought the story flowed incredibly well.  I particularly enjoyed the characters because, like the storyline, they were unusual. This was not a "cookie cutter" type of book, which is so prevalent in the YA genre.
 

On that note, I did feel some of it might not be totally age appropriate esp. for the younger YA reader. There were definitely some scenes in the book that I think were a bit intense or "violent" on many dimensions for the younger reader. I would say that this book was on the cusp of falling into the New Adult genre.
 
Source: Edelweiss for Balzer and Bray
        
Would I recommend? : See above
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: First in series. My belief is that this is going to be a very character driven series...read in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment