Thursday, August 8, 2013

Open Water Swimming Manual: An Expert's Guide for Triathletes and Open Water Swimmers by Lynne Cox





Book: Open Water Swimming Manual: An Expert's Guide for Triathletes and Open Water Swimmers
 
Author: Lynne Cox
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Champion Lynne Cox gives training advice for newbies and pros in the area of open water swimming. Lessons include training schedules, gear and hazards.
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Ms. Cox presents her material in excellent "conversational style" writing. I felt like the author sat down with me and, as a newbie, was giving me advice (because I need it!). Her tips and training exercises/methods were for all training levels and included information on training gear, hiring coaches and joining clubs. Information was present on nutritional needs, as well. I think I would have liked to see this expanded. I thought it was geared more towards the professional/expert/competitive swimmer versus me, who is simply in newbie training right now.  Finally, she wraps up with safety information, including open water swimming effects on the body and prevention of illnesses/breakdown. 

If I had a criticism of the book, it would be that I would have liked to have seen more outside the area of So. California. I think it focused WAY too much on this part of the country.
 
Source: Edelweiss for Random House Knoph  
     
Would I recommend? : Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment