Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lie Still by Julie Heaberlin





Book: Lie Still
 
Author: Julie Heaberlin
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Very pregnant Emily Page is upended and moves from Manhattan to Clairmont, Texas when her husband accepts a new position. She is welcomed into a Southern belle click. Things get ugly when Carolina, one of the top belles, disappears and secrets start to come out...including a big one that Emily has been hiding.
 
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: I have some serious ambivalence regarding this book. I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Heaberlin's first novel, Playing Dead. I found it to be a rich, fast-paced mystery with deep characters surrounded by quality writing. 

Although Ms. Heaberlin's quality writing was present in Lie Still, I could never warm up to the storyline that came off much more as a "chick light" mystery with pretentious characters and the "cliche" southern belle personalities. 
 
Source: Edelweiss for Bantam
       
Would I recommend? : This book continues to receive relative high ratings. As I stated I enjoyed the writing, but the storyline and character depiction left me a tad cold. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment