Saturday, July 13, 2013

Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans During World War II by Martin W. Sandler





Book: Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans During World War II
 
Author: Martin W. Sandler
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): August 27, 2013

Synopsis: Sandler chronicles one of the greatest civil rights travesties in our history, the internment of Japanese Americans in WWII, in a book written for our pre-teen and early teen readers. Told with first hand accounts and photographs, it gives young readers keen insights to stimulate further interest to ensure history doesn't repeat itself.
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: For being a middle school/early high school targeted book, I felt that it contained excellent content and very incredibly detail oriented for the number of pages. I have read NUMEROUS books on this topic, but I still felt that I learned a lot walking away from this book of more personalized accounts that have not been included in adult non-fiction literature I have read on this subject. I absolutely loved the pictures in this book. They are the best I have seen.
 

As to my criticisms of the book, I did feel that the author gave way too big of a pass to FDR on the issue of internment and instead blamed congress and the military. Second, I felt the author tried to make this a race issue versus the cultural issue that it was.  It appeared as though the author had an agenda coming into this book.

Although I think it is an important read for your pre-teen back it up with other books on this subject. 


Source:  Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
    
Would I recommend? : Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment