Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The First Lie by Diane Chamberlain





Book: The First Lie (Novella)
 
Author: Diane Chamberlain
 
Narrator (if applicable):N/A

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Written as an introduction to Ms. Chamberlain's upcoming release Necessary Lies (September, 2013)

In 1958 North Carolina, Ivy Hart lives with her grandmother and sister, Mary Ellen, on a tenant farm. The turbulent segregated south isn't the only thing young Ivy must face when her sister gives birth, but refuses to name the father. 
  
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: I have to admit that I am rarely impressed by these novellas that seem to be the current rage for authors to write prior to upcoming releases. I have found that most are weak in their storyline and often appears to have been struggled in its creation due to the nuances between full length novels and novellas. I had that same feeling with this book. Although I felt that the upcoming release is definitely a book I will be seeking out and this novella did whet my whistle, it didn't have the same power as Ms. Chamberlain's full length novels.
 
Source: St. Martin's Press Early Reviewer Program
       
Would I recommend? : Yes, but go in a bit lighter than reading a full length Diane Chamberlain book.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment