Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Asylum: A Novel by John Harwood




Book: The Asylum: A Novel
 
Author: John Harwood
 
Narrator (if applicable):N/A

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Georgina Ferrars awakens in a room of an asylum with no knowledge of how she got there or weeks before that. When the physician, Dr. Maynard Straker, informs Georgina's uncle that she is in the hospital, her uncle informs Dr. Straker that he has an imposter on his hands because Georgina Ferrars is safe at home with him. Who is the woman in the asylum? How did she get there? Is her uncle right? Is she the imposter or is the imposter living her life with her uncle?
 
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: I have read several books by this author. Hands down, this is my favorite. The character development was superb and the mystery left me scratching my head. I expected the ending to go a different direction than it did, so the story definitely kept my interest. 

Why 3 stars? This author is a very, very dry writer. Part of writing in the paranormal mystery/Gothic genre is to set a "mood" and I feel that this author is very weak in this skill. His writing is way too concise. It continued to be a struggle in this novel.  
 
Source:  Netgalley for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
      
Would I recommend? : Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment