Sunday, May 26, 2013

When All That's Left of Me Is Love: A Daughter's Story of Letting Go by Linda Campanella





Book: When All That's Left of Me Is Love: A Daughter's Story of Letting Go
 
Author: Linda Campanella
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: An emotional memoir of Ms. Campanella's journey through her mother's end of life care and saying good-bye. 
 
My rating: 5 Stars
 
My opinion: I read this book as a former social worker in the long term care industry and a person who has made the same journey as Ms. Campanella.

I was shocked how much this book touched me. I was frequently taken back to the loss of my own father. The author masterfully blended the emotional impact of death with the practical daily care of caring for the dying family member. This would be a definite positive read for those with a loved one in hospice care or counselors assisting them with the journey. 

Ms. Campanella offers the reader a voyeuristic view of saying goodbye to a parent while savoring the time left. All which are just wrapped up in the day to day aspects that are sometimes difficult to deal with. I am sure that there were moments of this book that would be incredibly difficult to write, as I know as the reader I could feel the author's pain. But I feel that this book was cathartic to the writer as well as the reader.
 
Source:  Author for review
     
Would I recommend? : I already have to hospice professionals in the field.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment