Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Unwritten Diary of Israel Unger by Carolyn Gammon & Israel Unger





Book: The Unwritten Diary of Israel Unger
 
Author: Carolyn Gammon; Israel Unger
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In Nazi Germany, Israel Unger and his family are forced to live hidden in the attic of his family's business. After the war, his parents sent him France to live with a foster family through a refugee program until they could be reunited and immigrate to Montreal.
 
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: I thought this book was going to be a male version of The Diary of Anne Frank. It wasn't. A bit of the book focused on the author's time in hiding in Nazi Germany. However, the better chunk was focused on the family's immigration into Canada. This left me a bit disappointed in the storyline. 

I love first person accounts of periods of time in history, but I went into this book thinking the path was going to go one way and it went a totally different path. 
 
Source:  Netgalley for Wilfred Laurier University Press
       
Would I recommend? : Not really sure. I thought it was an interesting memoir, but definitely not what I expected.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment