Thursday, April 25, 2013

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline



Book: Orphan Train: A Novel
 
Author: Christina Baker Kline
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: 17 year old foster child, Molly, is caught attempting to steal Jane Eyre and is given community service. Her boyfriend's mother partners her with Vivian who has a history of her own. Can Vivian connect with Molly and help her into adulthood using a connection of their own painful pasts?
 
My rating: 2 Stars
 
My opinion: This book was TOO MUCH for me. Told in 2 different periods of time, the present day story was nothing but drama central. I could barely get through it. Not to mention, the author used this book to "voice" her political bigotry which just came off looking stupid, inappropriate AND unnecessary to the storyline. I must admit that in the beginning I did enjoy the story of Vivian, but it wasn't enough to save the book for me.  Even that soon dwindled down to a book that I simply wanted to get through. What could have been a book on a very important event in our history was lowered down to a lot of drama central to support a weak story. 

I must admit that I finished this book several days ago and have already forgotten a chunk of it. That is how memorable it is.
 
Source:   Library
     
Would I recommend? : No
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment