Monday, February 4, 2013

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon





Book: The One I Left Behind
 
Author: Jennifer McMahon
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1985, 13 year old Reggie has lost her mother to a serial killer. Although most of the killer's victims have been accounted for, Reggie's mother never was. Twenty five years later, Reggie gets a phone call that her mother has been found alive, but on the brink of death due to lung cancer. She also realizes that her mother's captor is alive and well and may be looking to restart his killing machine. Can Reggie determine the killer and how he is tied to her past before more hands/bodies start showing up?

 
My rating: 1.5 Stars
 
My opinion: Being a huge fan of Jennifer McMahon's, I was all over this book when I saw it was being released. I must admit that I was disappointed with this novel. In the previous novels I have read by her, the books have had a uniqueness and a twistedness of reality that leaves the reader scratching his/her head as to the interpretation of the ending. In one of her books, I still get into debates with other readers as to the meaning of end of the story. On that note, I found this book to be mundane and pretty "typical" as to other "serial killer" novels out there. When I saw the topic I was dying to see how she wrote it. In reality, I ended up walking away feeling kind of empty. There were a couple of twists, but not enough to save the book for me. Furthermore, previous releases of Ms. McMahon's have been "can't put down reads" and I had a heck of a time finishing this novel. In fact, at one point, I had to force myself to finish it. 
 
Source: Library
       
Would I recommend? : Yes, but don't ignore nor compare her other works to this book. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment