Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Never Coming Back by Hans Koppel




Book: Never Coming Back
 
Author: Hans Koppel
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Mike Zetterberg's wife, Ylva, is missing. At first, Mike isn't concerned and think she just lost time with her girlfriends, but when she stays gone, he panics and he should panic because Ylva is being held by someone with revenge on their mind. 

When Mike becomes the chief suspect in Ylva's disappearance, he must not only fight those holding her, but the police, as well.
 
My rating: 1 Star
 
My opinion: I must say that I read a ton of Scandinavian/Nordic Noir literature. I co-moderate a Nordic Noir group on Goodreads. This book failed to tickle any sort of my fancy.

Unlike its' contemporaries (and what I love most about the genre), I found the writing totally bland to the point of being vanilla.  There was no excitement. No transitions. It simply was. One of the great things about Nordic Noir is its' STRONG character development and "twistedness" in storyline. This book lacked all of that.

Second, the use of grammar, particularly the lack of use of quotation marks, threw me off. I had to guess if it was characters saying things or the author setting scenes. Several times I had to go back and reread sections, which normally doesn't turn out well when I need to consistently do this!
 
Source: Library      
 
Would I recommend? : No
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment