Thursday, November 8, 2012

Revenge by Yoko Ogawa




Book: Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales

Author: Yoko Ogawa

Release date (if applicable): January, 2013

Synopsis: Eleven psychological creepy short stories which are interwoven within each of the story lines.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: I have always loved Japanese horror films and have found them to go beyond the realm of the human psyche in playing with one's mind. I have been finding in my expansion into Japanese mystery and horror literature. It is always very different and has a unique pulse to it.

On that note, Revenge was no different. The stories were so twisted in their premise that they held a life of their own. There also seemed to be an eerieness to it that simmered underneath the surface. I also loved how each story had an aspect to it that fed into the next story.

On a final note, I am normally incredibly tough on short story authors. I can count on one hand the number of reviews I have written in which the piece has received higher than three stars from me. In my opinion, short stories are much more difficult to write due to a demand for conciseness yet developing of characters which most authors fail at. I am always in for a special treat when I find an author who can do it and Ms. Ogawa is one of those authors.

Source: Netgalley for Publisher       

Would I recommend? : Yes!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment