Friday, October 26, 2012

The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid





Book: The Vanishing Point

Author: Val McDermid

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Stephanie Harker becomes the guardian for her friend's son, Jimmy Higgins, after his mother, Scarlett, a reality star who passes away from Breast cancer. While in security at Chicago's O'Hare airport, Jimmy is kidnapped while Stephanie is stopped by TSA when she sets off the alarms due to a leg plate.

It is up to the FBI, police and Stephanie to find out who, from multiple suspects, have taken Jimmy. Was it a stranger abduction or someone with much more sinister objectives?

My rating: 3.5 Stars

My opinion: First, let me premise this review by saying I am a HUGE, HUGE Val McDermid fan. I have read every book of hers minus wrapping up 2 books in her Kate Brannigan series. I find McDermid's books to be twisted, particularly her Tony Hill series, engrossing with characters and scenes so well developed that readers feel that they are present in the story. Furthermore, plots offer twists and turns that keep readers, for the most part, guessing at the outcomes and questioning beliefs in what was just read.

On that note, this isn't my favorite book by Ms. McDermid. I found it to be almost tame to other works I have read of hers. While it still had the Val McDermid quality of writing, I felt it was almost commercially geared towards the female reader. It was loaded down with "references" to feelings, romance dance and other female "issues"...not a hint of twistedness, which left me feeling kind of empty after finishing it.

On a small side note...Val's depiction of the incident between the incompetence of the TSA and Stephanie Harker was hilarious.

Source: Netgalley for Publisher       

Would I recommend? :  I regularly recommend Val McDermid books. This one would be recommended only to a certain audience (yep, female) versus gender unbiased recommendations I have done in the past!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

 

2 comments:

  1. so it was too touchy-feely is what you are saying? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, yeah, that is what I am saying. I think this is the first time Val McDermid has EVER done a touchy feely book. Hopefully, it is her last!!!

    ReplyDelete