Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Mexican Slow Cooker by Deborah Schneider




Book: The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork and More Favorites

Author: Deborah Schneider

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Ms. Schneider offers a collection of authentic Mexican recipes which have been somewhat adapted for the slow cooker. Among these are soups, main dishes, side dishes and even desserts.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: As an absolute lover of Mexican cooking, I have made several recipes from this cookbook and absolutely love this book. I will be purchasing this cookbook.

The recipes are fresh and, for the most part, restaurant quality. Furthermore, they are laid out with very simple, easy to follow steps. However, there is much more prep time in these recipes than I have seen with other slow cooker cookbooks.

I do have to disagree with the Goodreads description of this book as being a "fix it and forget it" cookbook. It is not. For the most part the slow cooker is used for a portion of the cooking time, but further stove or oven "finishing" is needed for a chunk of the recipes. Also, there is a much "prep" time required for recipes. This isn't a cookbook to look at like a Stephanie O'Dea cookbook. On that note, though, the recipes in this book aren't Stephanie O'Dea quality recipes. These are recipes that, minimally, I would gladly use in my entertainment dinners and that, as I stated before, are restaurant quality. This is why I have stated that this book isn't for a novice cook.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Not to a novice cook, but to a more experienced one, I would.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment