Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Absolutist by John Boyne




Book: The Absolutist: A Novel

Author: John Boyne

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: At the end of WW I, Tristan Sadler takes a package of letters to his best friend's sister, Marian Bancroft. Tristan served with Will Bancroft in France and fought along side him, witnessing the tragedy of war.

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: I must admit that when I first started reading this book, it bored me to tears. I tried to read it as I read a chunk of books I review-with a speed not of skimming, but not getting the full perspective of the book either.

At some point, probably about 75 pages in, I found myself changing the perspective which I was reading the book with and began to think of the two male characters who were fighting in a war at the ages of 17 and 18 respectively and really found myself humanizing the two boys as I tried to picture my son fighting in a war at their ages and how it would impact him. I think if I was unable to do that, my perceptions of this book would have been different.

What ended up coming from it was an absolute heartbreaking novel that was along the lines of the author's other big novel The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Source: Library       

Would I recommend? : For the right audience. I feel a chunk of people will either find the book to be too depressing (as I almost did).

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment