Friday, October 12, 2012

Little Boy Blue by Kim Kavin


Book: Little Boy Blue

Author: Kim Kavin

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Kim Kavin, after adopting her puppy Blue, goes in search for his background and his journey to her home.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: Anyone who follows my blog, knows that I don't review much non-fiction. Especially non-fiction that can cause a ton of debate due to me wanting to keep A Book and A Review a light zone. I had the opportunity to stumble upon this book and knew I not only needed to review it, but, as an animal lover, get the word out on this book.

This book is a must read for anyone who feels that spaying/neutering their pet is inhumane and those who are animal lovers. Don't expect a sweet story from this book. Kavin takes an in depth look at the world of High Kill Shelters/Animal Control/Animal Rescue. It had several moments that were simply heartbreaking, especially determining that a chunk of the cats/dogs sent to their death could be prevented simply from them not being born or being cursed with irresponsible pet owners.

It is not only a depressing book though. Ms. Kavin does detail improvements in processes in the pet adoption process, as well as things pet mommies and daddies can do, but the negative aspects of it still permeated the book.

I knew this book was going to be an absolute winner when Jim Gorant, author of the NY Times Bestselling novel, THE LOST DOGS: MICHAEL VICK'S DOGS and THEIR TALE OF RESCUE AND REDEMPTION wrote the foreword to it.

Source:  Library      

Would I recommend? : Ummm, I just did!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you strayed and reviewed this one. I wasn't familiar with it, but I now intend to pick it up. My wife and I have an animal sanctuary with 41 animals. We have reached our limit, emotionally and financially, and it is so painful to have to say no, but there are so very many animals that need help. Thanks for taking the time to review this one, Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jim...man, is there anything you can't do?!?! You are so multi-talented!

      Next...thanks, that is why I did it. This book had some pretty important things to say that I think people need to see. I live in a rural area where many people fail to spay/neuter their pets so this becomes the abandon zone. Plus, I got my little Aby cat in the same way.

      I know I plan on grabbing a couple copies of it for some Christmas gifts.

      Delete