Monday, October 22, 2012

Lip Service by M.J. Rose


Book: Lip Service

Author: M.J. Rose

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Julia Sterling, happily married to a psychiatrist, proud stepmother to his son and successful journalist, is hired by The Butterfield Institute as a writer. As her position grows, she explores her own sexuality and her relationships with men. Will Julia make it out with her sanity intact or take her on a whole new path in her life that will destroy everything she has ever known?

My rating: 3.5 Stars

My opinion: First off, I need to disclose to the readers of this review that I am a huge M.J. Rose fan. She has shown herself to be a master at writing within a diverse number of genres with a smoothness YET grittiness that leaves readers holding their breaths. On that note, this one didn't quite do it for me. I could tell that this was a prequel to the Butterfield Institute series which currently has 3 books in it. I have read 2 of these books. Also, as I did research for this book, it looks like it was originally released in 1999, which also explains why her writing appears to be SLIGHTLY more amateurish than her polished writing demonstrated in her more recent releases.

Now, as stated previously, Ms. Rose writes within several genres...historical fiction, which is my favorite of hers. Second is (really) light horror and finally, erotic mystery, which is where this novel and those of The Butterfield Institute fall into. Reader beware..when I say erotic, I am not kidding. These books have some gratuitous sexual spiciness in them. If you are turned off by this, DO NOT READ THIS SERIES.  

Source: Netgalley for Atria

Would I recommend? : Yes, I think if you read The Butterfield Series, which I recommend, this is a good introduction. AGAIN, IF YOU ARE TURNED OFF BY EROTIC LITERATURE...THIS BOOK ISN'T FOR YOU!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of series

 

 

2 comments:

  1. THanks so much for reviewing this book -and your kind kind words about my other books - thanks for being a fan. I would never agree or disagree with any of your opinions - but I do have a question if you don't mind - I don't consider myself a horror writer at all - what book of mine do you think is horror? I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, MJ! I was talking about The Reincarnationist series. That is why I put the emphasis on light horor. I call them down right creepy! ;)

      Delete