Thursday, October 11, 2012

Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick


Book: Heading Out to Wonderful

Author: Robert Goolrick

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis:  Charlie Beale strolls into the town of Brownsburg, Virginia with 2 suitcases, one with his possessions and one with nothing but money,  to quirky citizens where he fits in perfectly. Working for the local butcher, Charlie gets to know the townsfolk, including Sylvan Glass, the teenage and incredibly immature,  bride  of 48 year old Boaty Glass. When Charlie develops a lustful obsession with Sylvan, what will the repercussions be and who will be left standing?

My rating: 2 Stars

My opinion: I must admit that this wasn't my favorite Goolrick book. I found the characters to be less approachable and developed than A Reliable Wife, which is a book I absolutely loved by this author. I found myself skimming the last quarter of the book because I could never attach to the story or warm up to it.

On a positive note, Goolrick continues his history of writing quirky, almost noir,  storylines which have attracted me to his style of writing. I just wish this one would have either been focused on less characters, as in A Reliable Wife, because the large number of characters almost became distracting.

Source:  Library     

Would I recommend? : No

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment