Saturday, August 4, 2012

Under the House by Leslie Hall Pinder


Book: Under the House

Author: Leslie Hall Pinder

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: The Rathbone family, a prominent Saskatchewan family, has a deep secret, one that has torn apart the family for several generations and one that only the youngest generation has the courage to remove the blinders on. Can the Rathbone's survive the unreveiling?

My rating: 2.5 Stars

My opinion: The storyline of Under the House was an interesting concept. It was, basically, how dysfunctional can one family get. and how can  some secrets be albatrosses around necks for generations.  My problem is that, and the book's description alludes to this , is that time after time, it comes off as melodrama meant more to prop up a book versus add to the storyline.

Although, for the most part, I enjoyed Ms. Pinder's writing of this novel, I found that there were moments in which it had kind of dragged on.  The book had a depressing  tone to it that simply permeated it and because of that general "feeling" coming from the book, it took me much longer to read it than I  normally would with a book in equal length.  Now, in my humble opinion, I think this is what the author was trying to accomplish. However, this type of book can lead to a very dragged down feeling for some readers.

Source: Publisher

Would I recommend? : Not for most readers I know, but there is an audience for this type of book.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


No comments:

Post a Comment