Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller



Book: A Killing in the Hills

Author: Julia Keller

Release date (if applicable): August, 2012

Synopsis: Bell Elkins, prosecuting attorney, investigates the murder of 3 elderly gentleman in Ackers Gap, West Virginia. Little does she know that her daughter, who isn't as innocent as she portrays and witnessed the crime, knew the killer from a party that she shouldn't have been at? Why were these gentleman targeted? Who is behind the killings? Is there something deeper than is surface level? What are the secrets of Ackers Gap, WV and will the little town survive the shocking conclusion?

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: I loved this novel from Julia Keller. It was very clear from her descriptions that she had an excellent grasp of small town living. Living in a town of 400, I loved when authors paint a picture of small town life and she was definitely detailed in her descriptions of Ackers Gap.  Second, the book unraveled like a slowly and methodically, leaving me as the reader begging for more, with a knock down twist at the end that I didn't see coming. Normally I can determine "the bad guy" at the end of the book...not with this one nor why!

So, why 4 stars? I honestly felt that, particularly as a journalist/professional writer, the author could have written the story a bit tighter than it was. It seemed like there were alot of moments of somewhat "babbling" that didn't add to the storyline.

Source: Netgalley for St. Martin's Press

Would I recommend? : Definitely!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone (although, it does seem like it could be start of a series)

No comments:

Post a Comment