Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Simple Murder: A Mystery by Eleanor Kuhns





Book: A Simple Murder: A Mystery

Author: Eleanor Kuhns

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Rees, a former Revolutionary War soldier, returns to a son he deserted. The son has ran away to join the Quakers and Rees joins him to seek forgiveness and reconciliation. While there, murder ensues and Rees is the suspect. Did Rees do it or is something much more sinister going on?

My rating: 2 Stars

My opinion:  OK, to be honest, I expected more out of this award winning novel and my rating might reflect it. I wouldn't give it more than 3 stars though.  I thought the language, scenes and overall feel of the book didn't reflect the time period or setting of the book. When I read a historical fiction novel, I want to feel like I am lost in that period of time. This one just didn't have that feel. In incidents of the book that, understanding that period of time, would never have happened, it makes me wonder how deeply the author went into her research of that period of time and Quakers.

Second, there were areas of the book that it felt like the author had "skipped" over telling the story because she would throw in a scene depicting the incident although the incident had never occurred in the book. That didn't happen too often, but it did leave me with a "WTH??" feeling. In one incident where 2 characters were discussing an aspect of a murder that happened, I literally went back to research if that was described...only to find out she hadn't added that aspect.

Finally, the characters left me very cold. I just thought they were written in a "just the facts, ma'am" style and I couldn't warm up to ANY of them.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : No

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment