Saturday, May 26, 2012

Letters From the Wishing Rock (Wishing Rock Series, Book 1) by Pam Stucky


Book: Letters From the Wishing Rock (Wishing Rock Series, Book 1)

Author: Pam Stucky

Release date (if applicable): Released

Synopsis: Ruby, dumped by her fiance Pete, ups and leaves her hometown and moves to Wishing Rock, an very small island town off the coast of Seattle, to heal her wounds. What she finds is that family and friends miss her immensely, but more, a town full of some really quirky characters and, possibly, a new love.

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: OK...I have to be honest. It took me a bit to get into this book. I had a really difficult time with the format, written as a series of emails (that did have the tendency to be hilarious), so I had to keep track of who was "writing" what which was a distraction and it took a bit more to follow the storyline. Once I did, what an adorable and delightful read!  I loved the depiction of Wishing Rock and its' quirky citizens, as well as Ruby's goofy but lovable friends. The globe-trotting Gran was tons of fun, as well.

I was just looking at a review on Goodreads which called it a female version of Northern Exposure, a show I loved (yes, I know I am aging myself!) and, in my humble opinion, that description nailed it! For some reason, I was also reminded of the movie "Christmas in Connecticut", one of my favorite Christmas movies.

Oh, I can't forget to mention the recipes in the book. Seeing that I have picked up a large number of great recipes by authors including them in their books,  I know I will be trying a couple in this book!

Source: Author provided

Would I recommend? :  Yep!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series:  Part of a series. I will be reviewing book 2 within the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment